Tire Manufacturer Proximity Sensor Failure During Curing Process
Increased production for major tire manufacturer using metal fabricated solution with proximity sensor.
One of the world’s leading tire manufacturers for over 100 years.
Management was looking for a way to control and reduce downtime and waste. With increased competition in the tire manufacturing market, excessive downtime and waste was a major contributing factor to increased costs. They needed a solution that eliminated repetitive downtime due to damaged and failing proximity sensors.
The curing presses in the tire facility were experiencing issues with a large amount of failures and service calls due to issues with proximity sensors. Upon investigation by McNaughton-McKay specialists, it was discovered that the sensors were being damaged or misaligned on the presses due to the design and condition of the bracket that holds the sensors in place.
We studied the application and developed a bracket that would hold a flush mounted proximity sensor. We teamed up with a metal fabricator and provided our customer with a proximity and bracket assembly that can be installed in less than 10 minutes. This has resolved the mechanical failures. The new bracket design included the Allen-Bradley 871T which is a stainless steel sensor. The design of the bracket and stainless steel material of the sensor, helps to protect the sensor from the harsh environment of tire manufacturing. Additionally, the new bracket ensures that there are no alignment issues in the curing process reducing downtime.
COST ASSOCIATED WITH FAILURE
- Average downtime per failure/event: 3 hours
- Average loss in tires per event: 24
- Average lost production per event: $840
- Average Engineering Associate burden rate / hour: $60
- Average Maintenance Associate burden rate / hour: $40
- Average labor costs per event: $300
- Failure rate prior to solution (monthly): 7.05 (5.9% failure rate)
SAVINGS FROM SOLUTION
- Expected failure rate after solution (or better): 3.52 (2.9% failure rate)
- Associate cost savings per month: $1,056
- Average production savings per month (tires): 84
- Average production savings per month: $2,957
- Average Saving per month labor and production: $4,013
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES USED
- 871TM Tubular Stainless Steel Sensors with extended sensing range
- Custom made bracket from a metal fabricator