Celebrating 110 Years of Being More Than Your Electrical Connection
On Monday, February 10, 2020, McNaughton-McKay Electric Company celebrates the 110th anniversary of our establishment. A company doesn’t achieve such a milestone without the dedication of its employees, support of valued manufacturers and customers, and strength of the communities it serves. This milestone is a true testament to the vision our founders, John R. McNaughton and Arch McKay, and the continued foresight of our current leadership team.
“We are grateful to our employee-owners, our supplier partners and our valued customers that have instilled their trust in McNaughton-McKay,” says Donald D. Slominski, Jr., CEO and President. “There are numerous factors that have helped us reach this 110th anniversary, among those are committed employees, doing what’s right and delivering an exceptional experience to our customers and suppliers."
Over our past century, McNaughton-McKay has continued the work started by the original five employees from 1910. Much like young Clarence Bull who started as a delivery person in 1911, and rose to become president in 1949, we have continued to adapt to changes in the marketplace and strive to create new ways to support our customers.
- 2010 - Implementation of regional distribution centers called Customer Fulfillment Centers (CFCs)
- 2011 - 24-hour warehouse operations to maximize customer service in Michigan
- 2012 - Investment in EDGE – Electrical Distribution Global Enterprise, operating in Brazil, Italy and China
- 2015 - Launch of new digital platform tying our corporate websites with an upgraded eCommerce offering
- 2015 - Introduction of a leadership development program to help grow the next generation of employee-owners
- 2016 - Expansion of operations in Germany
- 2017 - Establishment of Motivity Technologies, a wholly owned subsidiary of McNaughton-McKay specializing in industrial network services
- 2017 - Establishment of a dedicated wire cutting facility to service Michigan and Ohio regions
- 2018 - Acquisition of The Reynolds Company, establishing McNaughton-McKay as a Top 10 Electrical Distributor
- 2019 - Expansion in the South Georgia market with the acquisition of four locations
Over the past 110 years McNaughton-McKay has grown from the five original employees to over 1,300 dedicated employee-owners. From that first location at 107 Broadway, Detroit, MI, we’ve expanded to over 45 locations across seven states and added operations in Germany. Our ability to onboard and retain top talent during a decade that has presented recruiting challenges is a true accomplishment in a highly competitive market. We have helped to advance the electrical distribution industry by being at the forefront of providing not just products, but solutions and ensuring we deliver services for projects that are both small and large in scale.
The electrical industry has changed over the past 110 years and so has McNaughton-McKay. What hasn’t changed is our dedication to quality products, recruiting outstanding employees and developing long-standing relationships with suppliers and customers. Change is a constant, McNaughton-McKay has proven that we can adapt and thrive over the last 110 years, and we will continue that same philosophy in the future.